1. What data we collect and how we use it
We may collect the following categories of information for the purposes explained below.
- Advertiser website activity: This is data about your browsing activity on the Advertiser's website. For example, which pages you visited and when, and what items you placed into your online shopping cart.
- Device and browser information: This is technical information about the device or browser you use to access the Advertiser's website. For example, your device's IP address, cookie string data and (in the case of mobile devices) your device type and mobile device's unique identifier such as the Apple IDFA or Android Advertising ID.
- Ad data: This is data about the online ads we have served (or attempted to serve) to you. It includes things like how many times an ad has been served to you, what page the ad appeared on, and whether you clicked on or otherwise interacted with the ad.
- Data from Advertising Partners: This is data that we receive from other digital advertising companies that we work with (“Advertising Partners”) to help us deliver ads to you and recognize you across browsers and devices. This may include pseudonymous advertiser identifiers that some Advertisers or other third party ad platforms choose to share with us, such as your "Customer ID" with an Advertiser or an identifier associated with a hashed (not readable) version of your email address. We may work with these Advertising Partners to synchronize their unique, anonymous identifiers to our own to enhance data points about a particular unique browser or device.
- Email and Postal Addresses from Advertisers: Some Advertisers choose to share actual email addresses and postal addresses about their customers with us, so that (with the help of Advertising Partners) we can help the Advertiser serve targeted ads to customers. Also, we may assist the Advertiser with sending emails to their customers. We use the Advertiser supplied e-mail and postal addresses for the purpose of assisting that particular Advertiser, and do not use this information for targeting ads for any other Advertiser.
We use this data to help our Advertisers identify and serve ads to you that are more relevant to you. We also use this data to operate, improve and enhance our services including enhancing the data points we or our Advertising Partners have about a particular user, browser, or device, or to target, optimize, cap, or synchronize advertising.
3. Data Sharing
We may disclose personally identifying information (PII) about you:
- With our service providers: We contract with companies who help with parts of our business operations. We require that our service providers only use your PII in connection with the services they perform for us.
- With service providers to our Advertisers: Our Advertisers may contract with companies who handle data (such as Advertisers’ customer lists) for them.
- With our subsidiaries and related companies
- In connection with legal proceedings: When we are under a legal obligation to do so, for example to comply with a binding order of a court, or where disclosure is necessary to exercise, establish or defend the legal rights of Affordable College, our Advertisers or any other third party.
- In connection with a sale of our business: If a third party acquires some or all of our business or assets, we may disclose your PII in connection with the sale.
We also share technical data that we collect about your browsing habits and your device (such as data relating to our cookies, tracking pixels and similar technologies) with other advertising companies in the digital advertising ecosystem. This enables them and us to better target ads to you.
Finally, we may disclose aggregated, anonymized information to our Advertisers and other third parties.